- Buy this item and get 90 days Free Amazon Music Unlimited. After purchase you will receive an email with further information. Offer valid for a limited time only. Terms and Conditions apply.” Learn more here.
Bandstand (Original Broadway Cast Recording)
|New from||Used from|
Audio CD, Import, 30 June 2017
Special offers and product promotions
- Product Dimensions : 12.7 x 13.97 x 1.27 cm; 113.4 Grams
- Manufacturer : Broadway Records
- Manufacturer reference : 0888295589451
- Original Release Date : 2017
- Label : Broadway Records
- ASIN : B0727Q8857
- Number of discs : 1
- Best Sellers Rank: 34,565 in Music (See Top 100 in Music)
- Customer Reviews:
Frequently bought together
2017 original cast recording. Bandstand brings the swing-fueled, against-all-odds story of singer/songwriter Donny Novitski and his band of mismatched fellow vets brilliantly to the stage. When a national contest to find America's next music sensation offers a chance at fame and Hollywood fortune, Donny must whip his boys into fighting shape. Teaming up with a beautiful young war widow as their singer, and playing for every voiceless underdog in a world that has left them behind, they will risk everything to redefine the meaning of victory and sing truth to power. Directed and choreographed by two-time Tony Award winner Andy Blankenbuehler (Hamilton, In the Heights), starring two-time Tony nominee Laura Osnes (Cinderella, Bonnie and Clyde), Broadway sensation Corey Cott (Newsies), and Tony winner Beth Leavel (The Drowsy Chaperone), and featuring an explosive original score by Richard Oberacker and Robert Taylor, Bandstand is a truly American celebration of the men and women whose personal bravery defined a nation. The original Broadway cast recording is produced by Michael Croiter.
Review this product
Top reviews from other countries
Bandstand was developed and had its world premiere at Paper Mill Playhouse in Millburn, NJ. From there it moved to Broadway. The show is set in 1945 and is the story of a group of veterans newly returned from World War II. It masterfully blends several story lines:
* big band music with the actors providing superb performances.
* a beautiful love story.
* veterans dealing with a range of what we now call PTSD symptoms although at the time there was no name for this condition. The director and cast won an award for the accuracy with which they depict the vets dealing with PTSD.
* corporate greed.
Even though it is set in 1945, the show is so relevant today.
I was surprised the show only won one Tony award – for Andy Blankenbuehler's (Hamilton) choreography. I believe it is because the people voting did not appreciate the full range of issues and emotions in the show.
All four story lines are interwoven in a masterful way. Many numbers are really great; the finale (Welcome Home) is amazing. If you are in New York City this show is a must see.
This CD brings the show to life. Laura Osnes, Cory Cott, and the entire cast deliver outstanding performances. Listen closely and you will hear the details of the big band music along with the original lyrics that bring out a full range of emotions. The notes include full lyrics.
The CD includes some of the key dialogue. This dialogue adds texture and bring you more into the show.
Very highly recommended!