Other Sellers on Amazon
FREE Delivery on first order. Details
Enter your mobile phone or email address
By pressing ‘Send link’, you agree to Amazon's Conditions of Use.
You consent to receive an automated text message from or on behalf of Amazon about the Kindle App at your mobile number above. Consent is not a condition of any purchase. Message and data rates may apply.
Healthy Eating for Life: An Intuitive Eating Workbook to Stop Dieting Forever Paperback – 2 July 2019
Enhance your purchase
Frequently bought together
Cara's vulnerability, expertise, and enthusiasm shines through in this interactive workbook. If by the end you haven't thrown all your diet books in the trash--read the workbook one more time.--Rebecca McConville MS RD LD CSSD CEDRD
Cara Harbstreet's book is the perfect companion for your diet-free journey to eating well. Her clear and compassionate voice, practical tools, and step-by-step guidance will leave you feeling greater confidence to say goodbye to dieting for good. I can't wait to share this resource with my clients.--Marci Evans MS, CEDRD-S, LDN, cPT
If you are tired of dieting and want to deepen your understanding of your food and eating behaviors, Healthy Eating for Life is for you. Filled with practical advice and exercises, this workbook gives you the tools needed to discover a new, sustainable way of eating that works for you.--Alissa Rumsey MS, RD, CDN, CSCS, Certified Intuitive Eating Counselor and Owner of Alissa Rumsey Nutrition and Wellness
About the Author
CARA HARBSTREET, MS, RD, LD, is a registered dietitian and nationally recognized nutrition expert specializing in intuitive eating and a non-diet approach. As the owner of Street Smart Nutrition (www.streetsmartnutrition.com), the founder of Libre Connections, and host of the "You Can Eat With Us" podcast, she seeks to help people let go of harmful dieting mentalities and rediscover the joy of eating.
- Publisher : Althea Press; Workbook edition (2 July 2019)
- Language : English
- Paperback : 128 pages
- ISBN-10 : 1641524901
- ISBN-13 : 978-1641524902
- Dimensions : 20.29 x 0.91 x 25.4 cm
- Best Sellers Rank: 799,771 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
- Customer Reviews:
Review this product
Top reviews from other countries
Just wait, when all the people who are extremely overweight die off the trend will change back again to putting emphasis on eating to stay within a weight range, based on the evidence that it is good for you.
We humans are not supposed to be fat. Our organs and skeletal system are not made to carry around 100 extra pounds. Books like this are a lie.
I'm 58. Last year I lost 60 pounds, and I've maintained it for just about a year. While I lost in a rather extreme way (keto + intermittent fasting + LOTS of exercise) I am maintaining by eating "normally." I was already a WW Lifetime members so I also attend meetings for support and accountability. I weight daily and I never miss >10K daily steps.
I was very interested to read this book as I am worried about regaining the weight. Supposedly 90% of people who lose a lot of weight regain it in the first 3 years. I am hoping to beat those odds.
I found this to be a well-written and helpful book. Weight Watchers (WW) has recently pivoted toward a "mindfulness" focus and a lot of the concepts that are covered in workshop are also covered in this book. The exercises are quite helpful and enlightening. The book does NOT recommend for or against any "diets" (other than a few pages that recommend lean protein, healthy fats and complex carbs).
I know that in my own circle of close family and friends, there are so many who struggle with poor body image, weight problems, nutrition-related health challenges, eating disorders and SO much drama and stress entailed in something that can't be avoided - namely, eating.
This book has a stated agenda of healing your relationship with food, as defined by several well-articulated markers; namely:
* ENDING THE FOOD FIGHT: If food is no longer the enemy, you are free to enjoy the experience of eating, whether it's a solo mindful meal, or a boisterous social event.
* CHANGING THE RANKS: If you're able to look at ingredients and meals in a neutral way, gone is their power to control you. Instead, they are there to support and serve you - not the other way around.
* RECONNECTING WITH YOUR BODY: No more questioning your hunger or fullness. You can trust what your body and move through the day with more peace of mind about food-related decisions.
*MINIMIZING CHAOS: Becoming an intuitive eater means that you'll benefit from a non-diet approach, and have opportunities to build a flexible structure that promotes good self-care.
*DISCOVERING A WHOLISTIC APPROACH TO WELL-BEING: "Health" is much more than regular visits to the doctor, adequate sleep, and "clean" living. Without a fixation on food, you'll have space to consider your needs in the areas of emotional, mental, social, financial and spiritual health.
Here are some things I like about it:
* The book is thoughtfully and intuitively designed, presented in an authoritative-but-not-bossy way that engenders confidence, and a compassionate and empowering voice.
* The book includes a self-assessment to help you gain clarity regarding your attitudes toward food, eating, your body and your emotional postures.
* It includes a cool graphic that helps you reframe/rescript your goals vis a vis food/body in a way that is healthy and practical.
* It's attractive in design, and the graphics, fonts and use of color are excellent for holding your attention, setting apart important information and making it all more attractive and fun to use.
* The workshop exercises concise, and well-formulated.
* It includes resources for counseling and support for the individual and family members
* It has a great bibliography of resources
* It cites its sources
All in all, I think this is a fantastic resources for an individual who's serious about healing their relationship with their body and their eating, and will go a long way toward helping the reader achieve it.
Self-awareness is the first step to change our relationship with food. Cara Harbstreet’s Healthy Eating for Life: An Intuitive Eating Workbook to Stop Dieting Forever is a resource written by the acclaimed registered dietitian to jump start the process and move from external motivation to self-motivation and, ideally lead us to a happier and healthier lifestyle.
The guidebook is only 121 pages, but provides a core of useful information and guides readers with written exercises to help them establish healthier eating patterns. In addition, Ms. Harbstreet’s writing style is engaging, and her concepts are easy to understand.
I particularly love her “Sitting with Difficult Emotions” exercise. Repeatedly, I had heard about this concept, but never received the proper instruction to pull it off. The author answers the “how” behind the “what.”
Though most of the book is a soulful adventure, the author also offers some commonsense eating tips. “My formula for balanced meals and snacks” is an excellent example.
Overall, I highly recommend this book. I think most people who have a desire to stop an unhealthy relationship with food will get something out of this book; I sure did.
Thank you for taking the time to read my review, and if you find it Helpful, please click the “Helpful” button below. I receive no monetary compensation, but work extra hard to help shoppers make the right decisions with their shopping needs. I appreciate your support and thank you in advance.