Similar authors to follow
See more recommendations
Customers Also Bought Items By
A new, improved and thoroughly updated edition of the bestselling photographic guide—the only one to cover every bird, in every plumage, ever recorded in Britain and Ireland
A bestselling guide since it was first published, Britain's Birds has quickly established itself as the go-to photographic identification guide to the birds of Great Britain and Ireland—the most comprehensive, up-to-date, practical and user-friendly book of its kind. Acclaimed by birdwatchers of all kinds, from the beginner to the most experienced, the guide has now been thoroughly revised and updated to make it even better than before. Combining the finest of identification guide content and presentation, this eagerly awaited second edition preserves the best of the first edition while covering twelve newly recorded species and offering a host of improvements that make identification easier.
- Provides comprehensive coverage of all the birds ever recorded in Britain and Ireland
- Describes and illustrates all plumages likely to be encountered
- Features more than 3,200 stunning photographs carefully selected to show the birds as you really see them
- Outlines simple steps to help you identify any bird you see
- Presents simple and accurate comparisons of similar and difficult species
New features include:
- Coverage of 12 new species recorded since the first edition plus revisions to reflect the latest taxonomy
- Coverage of all subspecies
- Improved identification aids, including more than 400 new photos, enhanced photo annotations and many redesigned plates
- Fully revised species accounts, including the latest information on identification features, status, numbers, geographical range and date ranges for all plumages that may be seen during only part of the year
A carefully designed and lavishly illustrated photographic guide
This innovative and carefully designed photographic guide provides a concise introduction to the identification of the 246 birds most likely to be seen in Great Britain and Ireland. It is the perfect book for anyone wanting to put a name to the birds in their garden, local area or on visits farther afield. Packed with hundreds of stunning photos showing the birds in their many variations, and written and designed by a team of experienced birdwatchers, this is the ideal companion for anyone interested in learning more about the wild birds around us.
- Covers the 246 birds most likely to be seen, plus another 30 or so scarce but regular migrants
- Carefully designed to be user-friendly and accessible
- Lavishly illustrated with more than 1,000 stunning colour photographs
- Easy to use and written in plain English
A state-of-the-art photographic identification guide to Europe’s whales, dolphins, porpoises and seals
This cutting-edge photographic identification guide to Europe’s sea mammals—the only such guide of its kind—covers the 39 species of whales, dolphins and porpoises and 9 species of seals found in the region, which spans the eastern Atlantic from Iceland to Macaronesia, and the Mediterranean, Caspian and Baltic seas. Written and illustrated by a team of professional tour guides with extensive experience presenting the region’s sea mammals, the guide features more than 180 color photographs, maps and graphics, highlights key identification features and includes information on the range, ecology, behaviour and conservation status of each species. Produced with the marine conservation charity ORCA, the book presents mapping data from a decade of surveys, which shows both current distribution and changes over time.
Europe’s Sea Mammals is an essential companion for whale watchers and anyone else who is interested in this enigmatic group of mammals.
- The only photographic guide dedicated to this popular whale-watching region
- Features more than 180 color photos, maps and graphics
- Highlights key identification features and provides essential information on the range, ecology, behaviour and conservation status of each species
Britain's Sea Mammals is the essential field guide to all the sea mammals--whales, dolphins, porpoises, and seals--found in coastal Britain. The book features more than 100 stunning photographs and close to 40 detailed and beautiful illustrations of 34 species of sea mammals, paying special attention to the 14 species most readily seen and most likely to be encountered. Factoring in behavior and locations, introductory chapters look at sea mammal biology and ecology, and how, when, and where these creatures can be spotted. Species accounts highlight key identification characteristics and include information on status, habitat requirements, and distribution. Handy and informative, Britain's Sea Mammals is the ideal guide to sea mammal watching in the United Kingdom.
- The only guide that focuses on the 34 species of sea mammal recorded in Britain, particularly the 14 most readily seen species
- More than 100 photos and almost 40 illustrations highlight species, their behavior, and locations
- Introductory chapters explore how, when, and where to look for sea mammals
- Species accounts highlight key identification features, including information on status, habitat requirements, and distribution