Similar authors to follow
Manage your follows
About John Muir Laws
John Muir Laws is a naturalist, educator, and artist. He has degrees in conservation and resource studies from the University of California, Berkeley, and in wildlife biology from the University of Montana, Missoula, as well as certification in scientific illustration from the University of California, Santa Cruz. He is an Audubon TogetherGreen fellow and a research associate with the California Academy of Sciences. He is the author of "The Laws Guide to Drawing Birds." "The Laws Field Guide to the Sierra Nevada" and "Sierra Birds: A Hiker's Guide." Visit his website at www.johnmuirlaws.com.
Customers Also Bought Items By
Gold Medal, 2016 Foreword INDIES Book Award. A potent combination of art, science, and boundless enthusiasm, the latest art instruction book from John Muir Laws is a how-to guide for becoming a better artist and a more attentive naturalist. In straightforward text complemented by step-by-step illustrations, dozens of exercises lead the hand and mind through creating accurate reproductions of plants and animals as well as landscapes, skies, and more. Laws provides clear, practical advice for every step of the process for artists at every level, from the basics of choosing supplies to advanced techniques. While the book's advice will improve the skills of already accomplished artists, the emphasis on seeing, learning, and feeling will make this book valuable even revelatory to anyone interested in the natural world, no matter how rudimentary their artistic abilities.
Easy-to-use features include:
- Intuitive organization, color tabs, and simple keys;
- Similar-looking species side by side;
- Over 2,800 full-color illustrations;
- Range maps of species that are otherwise difficult to distinguish;
- Index of common and scientific names;
- Lightweight and compact—ideal for backpacking.
Impressively detailed and comprehensive, the guide includes:
- More than 1,700 species;
- Descriptions of behavior, adaptations, and interactions between species;
- Species and topics not found in most guides, including aquatic life, spiders and webs, plankton, plant galls, bark beetle galleries, animal tracks and evidence, seasonal star charts, weather patterns, and cloud formations.