Similar authors to follow
Manage your follows
About Mary Ostyn
Mary Ostyn is the author of FAMILY FEASTS FOR $75 A WEEK, FOREVER MOM: WHAT TO EXPECT WHEN YOU'RE ADOPTING, PRACTICAL HOMESCHOOLING FOR REAL-WORLD FAMILIES, and A SANE WOMAN'S GUIDE TO RAISING A LARGE FAMILY. She, her husband and their ten children live in Idaho. Four of their children were born to them, and six arrived via adoption, from South Korea and Ethiopia. Ostyn has been blogging about motherhood, food, frugality, and adoption at http://owlhaven.net since 2006.
Customers Also Bought Items By
What to do when you’ve been called to adopt and practical advice to make it work
Mary Ostyn married her sweetheart at nineteen, and the pair had four kids by their eighth anniversary. When their youngest was three, God opened their eyes to the needs of orphans all over the world—and answered Mary’s longing for another baby. Over the next nine years the couple adopted two boys from Korea and four girls from Ethiopia.
Ostyn, a beloved adoption writer and blogger, shares—alongside stories from other adoptive families—the practical tools and resources she uses to thrive as an adoptive mom. In Forever Mom, she reveals how to:
- build heart connections
- prepare your other children for new siblings
- help babies, toddlers, and older children settle in
- implement attachment parenting
- address misbehavior while remaining connected
- nurture your marriage in the midst of it all
Whether you’re the parent of an adopted child or interested in pursuing adoption, Ostyn’s warm advice and fresh perspective will inspire, inform, and affirm. You’ll walk away confident you will be the perfect mom for whatever child God brings into your life.
Written from the experienced perspective of a mother of ten kids, both biological and adopted, this smart, encouraging guide to the large-family lifestyle answers such important questions as:
- Can a mother effectively parent multiple children without drowning in sheer neediness?
- How can a moderate income stretch to include more children?
- How can you make the most of the limited space in your home?
- What are some ideas for handling mountains of laundry?
- How can you preserve time for yourself and your marriage?
- How can you juggle activities and prioritize purchases?
- How do you encourage good relationships between siblings?
Whether your idea of big is three kids or ten, you’ll find plenty of tips to manage the day-to-day distractions—and enjoy the blessing of a large, loving family.