Similar authors to follow
See more recommendations
Customers Also Bought Items By
A new, improved and thoroughly updated edition of the bestselling photographic guide—the only one to cover every bird, in every plumage, ever recorded in Britain and Ireland
A bestselling guide since it was first published, Britain's Birds has quickly established itself as the go-to photographic identification guide to the birds of Great Britain and Ireland—the most comprehensive, up-to-date, practical and user-friendly book of its kind. Acclaimed by birdwatchers of all kinds, from the beginner to the most experienced, the guide has now been thoroughly revised and updated to make it even better than before. Combining the finest of identification guide content and presentation, this eagerly awaited second edition preserves the best of the first edition while covering twelve newly recorded species and offering a host of improvements that make identification easier.
- Provides comprehensive coverage of all the birds ever recorded in Britain and Ireland
- Describes and illustrates all plumages likely to be encountered
- Features more than 3,200 stunning photographs carefully selected to show the birds as you really see them
- Outlines simple steps to help you identify any bird you see
- Presents simple and accurate comparisons of similar and difficult species
New features include:
- Coverage of 12 new species recorded since the first edition plus revisions to reflect the latest taxonomy
- Coverage of all subspecies
- Improved identification aids, including more than 400 new photos, enhanced photo annotations and many redesigned plates
- Fully revised species accounts, including the latest information on identification features, status, numbers, geographical range and date ranges for all plumages that may be seen during only part of the year
The most comprehensive single-volume photographic guide to Europe’s birds ever produced—from the authors of the acclaimed Britain’s Birds
Covering more than 900 species, and illustrated with over 3,800 photographs, this is the most comprehensive, authoritative and ambitious single-volume photographic guide to Europe’s birds ever produced. Detailed descriptions provide the information necessary to identify the birds of Europe in all their plumages—male, female, breeding, non-breeding, adult and immatures, as well as distinctive subspecies—yet the book is easy-to-use, practical and accessible. Birdwatchers of any ability will benefit from the clear text, details on range, status and habitat, and an unrivalled selection of photographs. Chosen to be as naturalistic and informative as possible, the images are also stunning to look at, making this a beautiful book to enjoy, as well as an up-to-date and essential source of identification knowledge.
Europe’s Birds is produced by the same team that created Britain’s Birds, which has been described as “without doubt the best photo guide on the market” (Andy Stoddart, Rare Bird Alert). The authors include top-class wildlife photographers, writers and editors, and an imaginative, highly skilled designer. All are experienced birdwatchers themselves, who know what is needed and what is useful in an identification guide for birdwatchers living or travelling in Europe.
- Covers all 914 species ever recorded in Europe, including established introductions
- Describes all distinctive plumages and subspecies
- Provides details of vocalizations, flight action and favoured habitats
- Features more than 3,800 photographs, including comparison pages of birds in flight
- Includes 540 maps, prepared in association with BirdLife International
- Enables direct comparison of similar species
A carefully designed and lavishly illustrated photographic guide
This innovative and carefully designed photographic guide provides a concise introduction to the identification of the 246 birds most likely to be seen in Great Britain and Ireland. It is the perfect book for anyone wanting to put a name to the birds in their garden, local area or on visits farther afield. Packed with hundreds of stunning photos showing the birds in their many variations, and written and designed by a team of experienced birdwatchers, this is the ideal companion for anyone interested in learning more about the wild birds around us.
- Covers the 246 birds most likely to be seen, plus another 30 or so scarce but regular migrants
- Carefully designed to be user-friendly and accessible
- Lavishly illustrated with more than 1,000 stunning colour photographs
- Easy to use and written in plain English
The ultimate photographic field guide to the birds of Britain and Europe
RSPB Birds of Britain and Europe is a stunning, illustrated guide to Europe's bird species. It describes and illustrates bird characteristics and beautiful full colour photographs reveal individual species such as finches, martins and swallows with unrivalled clarity. RSPB Birds of Britain and Europe captures the beauty of birds, showing them in their varying plumage, making identification quick and effortless.
500 regularly seen species are featured with illustrations and up-to-date maps highlighting resident and migratory distributions so you know what species to expect and when. Covering the characteristics of anatomy, life cycle, and behaviour, and providing a survey of the habitats in which birds live, RSPB Birds of Britain and Europe (previous ISBN 9781405391696) is an essential reference for the novice twitcher or the long-time birder.
The perfect pocket guide to bird-watching for beginners
RSPB What's That Bird? is ideal if you struggle to tell a swift from a swallow. It's the perfect pocket guide for beginners but also a handy reference for the more seasoned bird-watcher.
Featuring over 150 common European birds, habitat overviews show you what to look for where and commonly confused birds are shown side by side for quick comparison and identification.
Become a successful bird-watcher in no time with RSPB What's The Bird?