Robert W. Bly
Similar authors to follow
Manage your follows
About Robert W. Bly
Robert W. Bly (Montville, NJ) is a professional writer, speaker, and marketing consultant with over 3 decades of experience in business-to-business, high-tech, and direct response marketing. He became a self-made multi-millionaire while still in his 30s. Bob is the author of more than 90 published books including Careers for Writers (McGraw-Hill/VGM), Secrets of a Freelance Writer (Henry Holt), The Copywriter's Handbook (Henry Holt), and The Elements of Business Writing (Alyn & Bacon). McGraw-Hill calls Bob Bly "America's top copywriter," and he was named 2007 Copywriter of the Year by American Writers and Artists, Inc. Bob writes a column for Target Marketing magazine. The Direct Response Letter, Bob Bly's free e-newsletter, has over 60,000 subscribers.
Check out Bob's blog at http://bly.com/blog or contact him at www.bly.com/contact
Customers Also Bought Items By
Books By Robert W. Bly
And whether you're an entrepreneur, marketing manager, copywriter, or direct marketer, Bob Bly "America's Top Copywriter," will show you how it's possible to improve the response rate to your promotions anywhere from 10 percent to as much as 900 percent, just by creating and testing different offers.
With three decades of experience in marketing and copywriting, Bob has packed everything he knows about offers that produce results into How to Create Irresistible Offers.
From specific techniques (like the "drop-in-the-buket" tactic) to overall strategies (like the "good, better, best" approach), you'll get a soup-to-nuts education.
Bottom line:By the time you're done with the book, you'll know exactly how to craft strong offers that make more money for you.
The classic guide to copywriting, now in an entirely updated fourth edition
This is a book for everyone who writes or approves copy: copywriters, multichannel marketers, creative directors, freelance writers, marketing managers . . . even small business owners and information marketers. It reveals dozens of copywriting techniques that can help you write both print and online ads, emails, and websites that are clear, persuasive, and get more attention—and sell more products.
Among the tips revealed:
* 8 headlines that work--and how to use them
* The 5-step “Motivating Sequence” for generating more sales and profits
* 10 tips for boosting landing page conversion rates
* 15 techniques to ensure your emails get high open and click-through rates
* How to create powerful “lead magnets” that double response rates
* The “4 S” formula for making your copy clear, concise, and compelling
This thoroughly revised fourth edition includes all new essential information for mastering copywriting in the digital age, including advice on content marketing, online videos, and high-conversion landing pages, as well as entirely updated resources.
Now more indispensable than ever, Robert W. Bly's The Copywriter's Handbook remains the ultimate guide for people who write or work with copy.
>>Was Winston Churchill wrong about never giving up? Page 6.
>>How to stop “marketing gurus” from robbing you blind. Page 19.
>>The most effective way ever to overcome procrastination.
>>How to never, ever be bored again. Page 26.
>>Should aspiring entrepreneurs go to college first? Page 33.
>>How to work with only the best clients for you. Page 37.
>>How to follow up without being a “sales pest.” Page 43.
>>What’s the best way to get started in your profession – 9-to-5 job or freelance? Page 49.
>>The most important thing you can do today to build your online business. Page 204.
>>The myth of the 8-second attention span and “nobody has time to read your copy.” Page 73.
>>Make money writing and publishing your own Kindle e-books. Page 87.
The definitive guide to making real money as a writer—revised and updated for the online media market of the 2020s.Do you love educating others? Do you want to make money doing it? The world of how-to writing is waiting for you! In How to Write and Sell Simple Information for Fun and Profit, copywriting legend and self-made millionaire Robert W. Bly shares his secrets to how any motivated person can turn simple information into a six-figure income.
Bob Bly spells out how you can find your writing niche; develop ideas for profitable how-to books, e-books, articles, video, audio content and more; research, write and publish effective, practical, how-to instructional materials; repackage content in a dizzying variety of proven-to-sell products; promote and market your work; and earn $100,000 a year or more.
This revised and updated second edition of How to Write and Sell Simple Information for Fun and Profit adapts Bly's tried-and-true formulas for writing success to the modern online content market, including best practices for monetizing podcasts, YouTube channels, webinars, Facebook groups, social media, software, and more.
You don't have to be the world's greatest writer. You don't have to be the leading guru in your field. But if you have a curious mind and love learning new things, you can be a six-figure success as a how-to writer—and How to Write and Sell Simple Information for Fun and Profit will show you how!
Business writing has been transformed in our era from long, leisurely letters to fast faxes, instant e-mails, crisp memos, and concise letters. Your reader doesn’t have time to waste. And neither do you.
That's where The Encyclopedia of Business Letters, Faxes, and E-mails can help.
Here You’ll find the most complete and up-to-date collection of model business correspondence for every conceivable occasion—sample letters, memos, and e-mails you can use as is or adapt for your own purposes. This invaluable reference contains more than 300 model letters with instructions for adapting each to your particular situation. Letters are organized into chapters by category, and the detailed table of contents guides you quickly to the letter that best suits your needs.
For each model letter, You’ll find:
- Introductory comments that give you a working knowledge of each kind of correspondence.
- Several variations of tone and style from which you can pick the one that suits you best.
- Analysis that reveals the formula to writing each kind of letter.
Instructions on how to format, design, print, and deliver your correspondence for best effect.
This revised edition The Encyclopedia of Business Letters, Faxes, and E-mails contains more help than ever, including:
- An expanded introduction to writing letters, faxes, and e-mails, with new tips and advice on the best use of each
- Ample guidance on the nuances of e-mail, including hints for avoiding common pitfalls
- Dozens of additional sample e-mail formats to meet today's communication needs
- Even more focused, easy-to-remember directions for organizing your thoughts and composing even the toughest kinds of correspondence don’t go to work without it!
Robert W. Bly is a self-made multi-millionaire and brings in six figures of sales annually from marketing and selling his own products, not to mention more than half a million from his freelance writing. He’s been a professional copywriter for nearly forty years and has been named America’s best copywriter. And now he’s drawing back the curtain and revealing hundreds of proven words and phrases that can help you:
- Grab the reader’s attention.
- Convey a sense of urgency.
- Communicate what’s special, different, and unique about your product.
- Boost response with proven time-tested offers.
- Arouse the reader’s curiosity.
- Overcome buyer objections.
- Announce something new.
- Move the reader emotionally.
- Create a perception of superior product value.
- Give the reader news.
- And much more.
The Big Book of Words that Sell contains the 1200 words and phrases that have proven to sell most effectively for Bob, and the best situations to employ that language in. Use them to:
- Sell any product or service.
- Get connections, followers, and friends on social media.
- Write social media posts and ads that generate more clicks and conversions.
- Optimize web pages for Google and other search engines.
- Write e-mails that get higher open and click-through rates.
- Become a more powerful and persuasive copywriter.
- Increase web site traffic and conversion.
- Generate better return from your Call to Actions (CTA).
The Big Book of Words that Sell: 1200 Words and Phrases That Every Salesperson and Marketer Should Know and Use is your guide to the world’s most persuasive words and phrases—and how to leverage them to sell your product.
Now Make Sure You're Fluent in the Language of Marketing in the 21st Century!
- Do you know the difference between cold traffic vs. hot traffic—and the best ways to convert each?
- Are your content writers serving you warmed over “Google goulash?”
- Are you elevating your response rates by strategically deploying “dominant resident emotion” and the “core buying complex”?
- Can you double or triple the leads and sales you are now getting through your “sales funnel”?
In the digital era, marketing is evolving with lightning speed. And the language of marketing is changing right along with it. Now, with the Marketing Dictionary for the 21st Century, Second Edition, you can quickly bring your marketing vocabulary up to date … understand what colleagues and vendors are talking about … and show others that your marketing knowledge is on the cutting edge. You'll also improve your understanding of key marketing concepts, methods, and tactics—from affinity marketing and attribution, to zero-party data and zip code analysis. So that you can multiply your sales and profits, across all digital and traditional marketing channels, as never before!
This book is a tongue-in-cheek guide to words that any well-educated, witty person should be able to drop into cocktail conversation. You are encouraged to toss off words such as “disestablishmentarianism,” “descant,” and “autodidactic”—words that will make the user sound learned, intellectual, and wise. For those who want to improve the quality and sophistication of their speech and writing, this is the book to keep on the nightstand.
Laws are broken. Rules get bent.
The exciting new line of books that puts a foundation underneath your efforts . . .
AXIOMS [ak-see-uhms] –noun 1. statements or propositions that are regarded as being established, accepted, or self-evidently true 2. the sublime and intrinsic facts of a subject that form the foundational underpinnings upon which one can build unbounded and limitless success.
- Offer > Brand
- Long Copy Works
- More Research = Better Copy
- More Experiences = Better Copy
- Effectiveness = 1/# People
Discover the 5 Universal Elements of Persuasion That Form the Foundation of Writing Copy That Sells
More and more copywriters today do not know the proven rules and principles of persuasion. Why this refusal to adhere to first principles?
- Many copywriters don't understand the fundamentals of sales writing.
- Some copywriters look down upon the time-tested rules as old-fashioned, out-of-touch, or even antiquated.
- Others are more concerned with winning creative awards and filling their portfolios with snazzy ads rather than effective ads that send sales through the roof.
In this book, we delve into the 5 most important fundamentals of persuasion in print broadcast and on-screen. We call them "AXIOMS," because they are universal and work virtually all the time.
You Will Learn . . .
- How to generate 10X more sales for your ad dollars.
- The 6 characteristics of winning offers.
- Using offers that support the brand.
- 10 questions to ask before testing your offer.
- Gevalia Coffee's amazing offer.
- What should your ad sell-the product or the offer?
- 79 tested offers.
- What works best-long copy or short copy?How research can help you write kick-butt copy.
- 7 ways to prove claims in your copy.
- The 4-step discovery process for copywriting.
- 11 ways to use life experience to make your copy stronger.
- The best process for copy reviews.
- The 25-50-25 rule for making edits.
About the EXPERT
BOB BLY is a copywriter with more than 4 decades of experience in direct response and business-to-business marketing. McGraw-Hill calls Bob Bly "America's top copywriter." Bob has written copy for over 100 clients including AT&T, Intuit, Lange Financial, Bulova, and IBM. He is the author of more than 100 published books including Charles Steinmetz: The Electrical Wizard of Schenectady (Quill Driver). Bob has won many writing awards including a Gold Echo from the Direct Marketing Association and an IMMV from the Information Marketing Association. He has presented writing and marketing training classes to numerous organizations including the Society for Technical Communication, General Electric, and the U.S. Army.
• Avoid the “solving false problems” mistake in your advertising. Page 50.
• How to differentiate yourself from the competition. Page 78.
• Is creativity overrated? Page 143.
• 10 ways to add urgency to your ads. Page 164.
• A little-known copywriting technique for making clients happy. Page 202.
• The power of contrarian copy. Page 172.
• 9 ways to become a financially secure freelancer. Page 42.
Readers will learn how to:
- Create A-level content that gets noticed, gets read, and eliminates “content pollution”
- Overcome the biggest weakness of content marketing
- Double marketing response rates by adding lead magnets, bonus reports, and other free content offers
- Use content to build brands, enhance reputations, and stand out from the competition
- Plan, execute and measure content marketing in a multichannel environment
- Know when to stop giving away content and start asking for the orders