Similar authors to follow
See more recommendations
Customers Also Bought Items By
Will you sleep through the revolution? Or do you want to wake up and reclaim your one wild and precious life?
We live in truly overwhelming times. The climate crisis, political polarisation, racial injustice and coronavirus have left many of us in a state of spiritual PTSD. We have retreated, morally and psychologically; we are experiencing a crisis of disconnection - from one another, from our true values, from joy, and from life as we feel we are meant to be living it.
Sarah Wilson argues that this sense of despair and disconnection is ironically what unites us - that deep down, we are all feeling that same itch for a new way of living. this one wild and precious life opens our eyes to how we got here and offers a radically hopeful path forward. Drawing on science, literature, philosophy, the wisdom of some of the world's leading experts, and her personal journey, Wilson weaves a one-of-a-kind narrative that lights the way back to the life we love. En route, she leads us through a series of 'wildly awake' and joyful practices for reconnecting again that include:
- Go to your edge. Do what scares you and embrace discomfort daily. Use it to grow into your Big Life.
- #buylesslivemore. Break the cycle of mindless consumption and get light with your life.
- Become a soul nerd. Embrace poetry, deep reading, art, and classical music to light up your intellect.
- Get 'full-fat spiritual'. How to have an active practice - beyond the 'lite' 'rainbows and unicorns' - and use it to change the world.
- Hike. Just hike. Walking in nature reconnects us with ourselves, and with our true purpose.
- Practise wild activism. If you can get 3.5 per cent of a population to participate in sustained, non-violent protest, change happens. We create our better world.
The time has come to boldly, wildly, imagine better. We are being called upon, individually and as a society, to forge a new path and to find a new way of living. Will you join the journey?
"Probably the best book on living with anxiety that I've ever read" Mark Manson, bestselling author of The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck
Sarah Wilson is a New York Times and Amazon #1 bestselling author, entrepreneur and philanthropist. She's the founder of IQuitSugar.com, whose 8-Week Program has been completed by 1.5 million people in 133 countries. A former news journalist and editor of Cosmopolitan, she was the host of the first series of MasterChef Australia and is the author of the international bestsellers first, we make the beast beautiful, I Quit Sugar: Simplicious, I Quit Sugar and I Quit Sugar For Life. Her latest book is I Quit Sugar: Simplicious Flow. She is ranked as one of the top 200 most influential authors in the world.
Sarah blogs in an intimate fashion - on philosophy, anxiety, minimalism and anti-consumerism - at sarahwilson.com, lives in Sydney, Australia, rides a bike everywhere, is a compulsive hiker and is eternally curious.
In first, we make the beast beautiful, Sarah directs her intense focus and fierce investigatory skills onto this lifetime companion of hers, looking at the triggers and treatments, the fashions and fads. She reads widely and interviews fellow sufferers, mental health experts, philosophers, and even the Dalai Lama, processing all she learns through the prism her own experiences.
Sarah pulls at the thread of accepted definitions of anxiety, and unravels the notion that it is a difficult, dangerous disease that must be medicated into submission. Ultimately, she re-frames anxiety as a spiritual quest rather than a burdensome affliction, a state of yearning that will lead us closer to what really matters.
Practical and poetic, wise and funny, this is a small book with a big heart. It will encourage the myriad sufferers of the world's most common mental illness to feel not just better about their condition, but delighted by the possibilities it offers for a richer, fuller life.
MORE PRAISE FOR FIRST, WE MAKE THE BEAST BEAUTIFUL
"at once a nomadic journey, a cri de coeur and a compendium of hard-won wisdom ..." Professor Patrick McGorry AO MD PhD FRCP FRANZCP FAA FASSA, 2010 Australian of the Year
"A witty, well-researched and often insightful book about negotiating a new relationship with anxiety." Andrew Solomon, Professor of Clinical Psychology and author of The Noonday Demon: An Anatomy of Depression
This book’s for you if:
• You’ve tried to quit on your own and can’t get past the first few days (there’s a very important reason for this, which we’ll be sharing!)
• You’re tired of feeling sluggish, bloated and stuck and want to try a new way (you might just be curious to see if sugar is the culprit…why not?)
• You want to lose weight (because, yes, the Program will help you do this, too!)
The book offers:
• A sharp 8-Week Program that walks you through each crucial stage, week by week
• A tidy, easy-to-relay-to-mates-at-the-pub explanation of how and why sugar is making us fat and sick
• A sugar replacement plan: tested and nutritionally sound
• “Sweet” sugar-free recipes
• A detox and suggested supplements list
What others say about the I Quit Sugar 8-Week Program:
I cannot believe the impact this program has had on my health and energy levels. My skin has improved, I am sleeping better, I have energy all day and I no longer have the feeling of being constantly hungry. I found the program really easy to follow, and the ‘be kind to yourself and experiment with it’ approach really worked for me. I have lost 5kg since starting the program and the only change I have made is to get rid of the sugar. So thank-you Sarah, the 8-Week Program has been a kick-start to me leaving sugar behind forever. – Jane
It was an absolute revelation to me, breaking the sugar addiction. Also felt the benefits in energy, being alert all day without the after lunch slump, and losing brain fog. There was a lot of information shared with recipes and alternatives, and opportunities to ask questions, which helped greatly. – Vikki
My blood sugar was 10.7 mmol. Scary stuff for a person with a predisposition to diabetes. I had Hashimotos and Celiac disease. So I downloaded Sarah’s book and read it in a night. I binned all processed foods and concentrated sugars and noticed immediately a huge difference in the behaviour and focus of our children and then really amazing things started happening to me. I am off my thyroxin, no longer pre-diabetic and I am managing my Hashimotos with food therapy and lifestyle. – Jackie
This isn’t our first chocolate cookbook. We have chocolate recipes coming out of our ears! But this is the first one that pulls all the best recipes into one single book. The “ultimate” chocolate cookbook, if you like.
•100 sugar-free recipes
•Paleo, gluten-free, kid-friendly (nut-free) and vegan options
•An entire lush sugar-free Easter chapter
The midday meal is a great opportunity to ensure you get a big nutritious hit in the middle of the day. We're constantly asked how you should go about doing this if you're a desk worker, shift worker, a parent packing kids lunch or anything in between. So we've shared with you all of our ingenious ideas for toting, heating, dressing and adding pizazz to boring lunches.
- 50 sugar-free or low-sugar recipes for lunchboxes.
- Totable lunches that can be assembled at home (several at a time, days in advance!).
- Practical tips for office workers.
- A whole chapter of little snack things.
- Nourishing soups that can be divided into one-serve portions and frozen for weeks to come.
- Dead simple ideas for kids’ lunches.
Our Healthy Breakfast Cookbook is jam-packed with 45 quick and tasty sugar-free recipes that will keep you going past lunch. And to make sure it doesn’t include a single added sweetener, we’ve turned breakfast into a savoury affair. Yep, not only is it possible to eat veggies for breakfast, but it’s completely delicious too!
- 45 recipes created and developed by a qualified nutritionist.
- 25+ inspiring foodie photos.
- Step-by-step recipe instructions.
- Handy substitution and allergy guides.
"Healthy" doesn't have to mean boring.
With fun and quirky recipes like French Toast in a Mug, Chickpea Pancake Pizza and Bittersweet Savoury Yoghurt, this is a book of breakfast inspiration, education and motivation that will leave your friends and family begging for more!
1. Breakfast in 2 Minutes
2. Toasties and Toast Toppers
3. Breakfast Using Dinner's Leftovers
4. Fun Savoury Things
5. Cafe Favourites
6. Sunday Cook-ups
Sleepy time treats
Gummies for kids
Wondering what all this gelatin fuss is about?
Gelatin is a fast and furious source of protein, which helps heal the gut, boost metabolism, detox the liver... the list goes on. Read more about why it's the healthiest thing for your gut.
Looking to get your hands on our Gut Lovin' Gelatin? Click here
*When we say sugar-free we mean fructose-free, because that's the stuff we try to avoid.