Think Like a Monk: How to Train Your Mind for Peace and Purpose Everyday Paperback – 9 September 2020
|New from||Used from|
Frequently bought together
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
- ISBN-10 : 0008355568
- ISBN-13 : 978-0008355562
- Paperback : 352 pages
- Dimensions : 15.2 x 3.2 x 23.3 cm
- Publisher : Thorsons/Element - GB (9 September 2020)
- Language: : English
- Best Sellers Rank: 48 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
- Customer Reviews:
“Who better to help you find meaning in your life than a monk? Jay’s experience and wisdom are invaluable to anyone looking to improve their life and reach their full potential.”―ELLEN DeGENERES, television host, actress, writer, and producer
“Jay Shetty shows you step by step how to build your power, shifting your focus from self-image to self-esteem. This book frees you from the hypnosis of social conditioning and helps you become the architect of your own life.”―DEEPAK CHOPRA, MD, professor of medicine, University of California, San Diego, and New York Times bestselling author
“Grab this book, find a comfortable chair, and let Jay Shetty take you on a life-changing journey. Jay guides us with warmth and clarity on a path to greater joy and purpose, offering wisdom that can be put into practice right now. You will want to share it with everyone you love.”―ROBERT WALDINGER, MD, professor of psychiatry, Harvard Medical School, and director, Harvard Study of Adult Development
“Combining ancient wisdom with the practicalities of today, Think Like a Monk provides essential guidance for traveling a balanced path to success.”―RAY DALIO, founder, co-chairman, and co-chief investment officer of Bridgewater Associates and New York Times bestselling author
“Jay Shetty has a rare gift for tapping into the world’s timeless wisdom and making it timely by infusing everyday moments with meaning and grace. He’s already shared glimmers of that wisdom with millions on social media, but here he gathers it all into one life-changing volume. Read this book to open your mind, lift your heart, redefine success, and connect with your deeper purpose.”―ARIANNA HUFFINGTON, founder of The Huffington Post, founder and CEO of Thrive Global, and New York Times bestselling author
About the Author
Customers who bought this item also bought
Review this product
Top reviews from Australia
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
After listening to Jay Shetty talking with Dave Aspery on Bulletproof Radio, well I bought it on my kindle while listening. Jay - who has written so beautifully and eloquently, like his speech - has provided a calming space while navigating my hectic head-injured life. I am always on the lookout for techniques to ease the burden of my experience and gain more energy.
I will be recommending Jay Shetty's book to everyone.
It delivers the reader the ability to see, feel and offer positivity, happiness, to value and actively practice gratitude, serve, love, live in peace of mind, have purpose and rise.....I can go on and on.
Shipped to a dear friend living far away from me and some more yet to be gifted. A valuable gift.
Top reviews from other countries
Who should buy this book?
Anybody with interest in reading. If you're capable of reading a book within a month then you could buy!
Who shouldn't buy this book?
1. This book is not for someone who wants a book as an aid to overcome fear, depression, loneliness, addition, negative thoughts, relationship struggles...
2. Introduction to all the problems under the sky or maybe above the sky are written in this book...
3. Those who already practice mindfulness, meditation, yoga might not find much stuff in this book...
Things that will be interesting...
1. You might think that maybe Jay is the wisest person in the universe.
2. It's because he didn't dilute the subject matter. But he has made the content more relatable to 2020.
1. Sometimes you might find Jay like a kid praising teacher to get extra marks or get some chocolates.
2. Don't get me wrong... Without fail he has written few words about people who has acknowledged his book!
3. Sometimes you might get a feel like, I should become famous within 5 years & Jay will write about me
4. You'll definitely find stuff you might not want to take from a book.
Do you want to become rich or make him rich...
1. It's obvious, like in almost all the books, you'll find some marketing stuff at the end of the book.
2. There's nothing wrong in that stuff but again are you ready to spend money to listen to him and to learn from him?
3. If you read some other self help book or teachings of the people that this book relies on; you'll notice that you're drawn towards meditation, positive thinking, changing lifestyle...
4. Unfortunately this book has the tendency to draw readers more towards Jay rather than meditation or mindfulness...
5. It's like a fitness trainer inviting you to gym.. but rather than guiding you to exercise and get fit, the trainer is more interested in selling supplements!
Still if you're reading this review...
1. Go ahead and grab a copy of this book.
2. Suppose, if you're surrounded by people who give you advice, & you don't know how they became instant genius, chances are they might have read something from this book or anything from similar books
3. A must read for readers who wants to know what's the current trend in the self help category...
1. I followed few rules which I have broken when I bought this book..
2. Here's the rule: When it comes to self help, inspiration or mindfulness buy the book written by the person who's an expert in that field, maybe a doctor, or phycologist, or someone who's known for their specific talent like music, etc...
3. Another rule of thumb... It's better to buy self help book written by someone who's already dead or someone who's about to die. It's because you have their whole life before you before buying their books!
I think this is my first review....
Why I'm reviewing this book?
Honestly I'm disappointed. But still it's not a bad book and it's not a great book. It's definitely not as advertised!
If you're ready to follow Jay then you can buy this book and do whatever he suggests in the book.
Once you start reading this book you'll get a feel like maybe you're eating up huge variety of foods & you couldn't identify what you are tasting!
Reading this book is like getting a taste of all the Indian food + Chinese food + Western food + some food from sky!
While reading this book be ready to get interrupted by Jay himself through some social media!
Still why I bought this book...
1. I'm surrounded by people who can speak almost about anything after watching a movie or a 5 minute video... I'm sure they gonna quote from this book!
2. I like how Jay sold so much copies of this book! Most likely he has planned everything ahead while releasing his first video!
Finally reason for my fictional name...
1. I just don't want people to get caught up in something popular & lose interest in their pursuit of becoming more mindful, positive, financially well, etc!
2. Actual reason for this name...
Just search in your favourite search engine, "what was the first program written in C by it's founders?"
3. Yup, I like programming that's why I have created this fictional name.
4. Guys if you're really fed up with life, don't give up. Start learning a programming language. Just print hello world...
Why everyone should print hello world...
1. Hello world is a way of checking if the IDE or code editor is installed correctly in the computer.
2. As you make more hello world programs, you'll either stick with 1 programming language or you'll develop interest to learn more programming languages
3. You'll start to understand how computer behaves and understands everything as 0s and 1s...
1. Is this really a book review?
2. Don't you feel sleepy or annoying?
3. This' how you might feel like while reading this book.
4. If you're an avid reader and want to read something that will have an lasting impact on your life, please don't start with this book!
5. Then what to buy since you've some amount of money to buy a book: Maybe you could buy a book written by a real monk!
6. Either agree or disagree: Basic always remains the same. You might see changes in the format or in the way of presentation.
7. If you've read the previous statement and agreed you will not invest so much on self help books. You might prefer audio books or ebooks as they're relatively cheap & don't take up space in your bookshelf!
Think before buying anything....
Also the book is big and is excellent quality!! What a bargain. Thank you Jay for your wise words of wisdom. Wish me luck ! 🍀 Eva
Jay provides great frameworks which combine ancient wisdom with the practicalities of living in the modern world. Jay was a Monk for 3 years and he is able to bring to life stories which show how he developed his thinking and how you don't have to be a monk to think like a monk.
Jay has had phenomenal success and it is clear that his way of thinking, daily routines, practices and habits have helped shape this success. He uses lots of anecdotes of his journey and then combines this with references to ancient texts to highlight concepts and practices.
What I love is how humble Jay in his writing, he applies thinking like a Monk through his writing. The book does not preach, it just lays out several different concepts and puts a "Try this" frame around it. The combination of anecdotes, ancient text references, exercises and diagrams really help to bring out the concepts but most importantly provide a practical framework to use.
Jay is a powerful storyteller and he uses the power of story nicely in the book. Just like any other self-development book, it does have concepts that you would have seen in other books. However, lots of people read lots of self-development books and know these concepts at an intellectual level but don't necessarily do anything with this. Lots of people know about Morning Rituals and Gratitude but they still find it difficult to apply these on a daily basis.
This book provides some simple but really powerful ways to change your thinking which will help you train your mind for peace and purpose every day. I liked the meditation examples and also the Vedic Personality Test in the Appendix. Again this is provided with a frame to explore and try it out as opposed to being the exact thing you need to do and use.
If you want to have more conscious, purposeful living then I highly recommend this book. Remember though, reading the book itself will not change your thinking, it will be practical aspects of reflecting and trying out the various concepts within which will support you with your personal growth.
I am so grateful to God for sending you in my life. This world really needs people like you who didn't keep the real wisdom with themselves but shared with this world instead to make this world a better place. I am happy to meet a monk😄😂😋. I really want to think like a Monk. I started reading this book. I just can't express gratitude in words.
Don't listen to naysayers whoever wrote negative comments. They can't happy when people are becoming successful by putting efforts to make this world a better place.
If anyone wants to live their true lives and want to connect to their true selves and make a difference in the world. Don't even think. Just buy this book. This is the right time.