Similar authors to follow
Manage your follows
About Chuck Easttom
Dr. Easttom has many years of practical experience in all aspects of IT. He holds a Doctor of Science in Cyber Security (Dissertation:"A Comparative Study Of Lattice Based Algorithms For Post Quantum Computing" ) a Ph.D. in Technology (Dissertation: "The Effects of Complexity on Carbon Nanotube Failures"), A Ph.D. in Computer Science (Dissertation "A Systematic Framework for Network Forensics Using Graph Theory") and 3 masters degrees (including 1 in applied computer science, 1 in education, and 1 in systems engineering). He has authored 30 computer science books ( so far) and is an inventor with 22 computer science patents, and over 70 research papers. He was a subject matter expert for CompTIA in the creation of their Security+, Linux+, and Server+ certification tests and on the Job Task Analysis team for CEH v8. He created the OSForensics certification test and course. He currently holds 68 IT certifications (A+, Network+, iNet+, Linux+, Server+, MCP, MCAD, MCSA, MCSE, MCDBA,MCTS, MCITP, CEH, CHFI, CISSP, CCFP, ISSAP, and more).
Dr. Easttom is a Distinguished Speaker of the ACM, a Distinguished Visitor of the IEEE, as well as a Senior Member of the ACM (Association of Computing Machinery) and a Senior Member of the IEEE (Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers). He is also a member of INCOSE (International Council on Systems Engineering) and IACR (International Association of Cryptological Research).
You can find more, and book errata at www.chuckeasttom.com
Customers Also Bought Items By
This comprehensive guide to modern data encryption makes cryptography accessible to information security professionals of all skill levels—with no math expertise required
Cryptography underpins today’s cyber-security; however, few information security professionals have a solid understanding of these encryption methods due to their complex mathematical makeup. Modern Cryptography: Applied Mathematics for Encryption and Information Security leads readers through all aspects of the field, providing a comprehensive overview of cryptography and practical instruction on the latest encryption methods.
The book begins with an overview of the evolution of cryptography and moves on to modern protocols with a discussion of hashes, cryptanalysis, and steganography. From there, seasoned security author Chuck Easttom provides readers with the complete picture—full explanations of real-world applications for cryptography along with detailed implementation instructions. Unlike similar titles on the topic, this reference assumes no mathematical expertise—the reader will be exposed to only the formulas and equations needed to master the art of cryptography.
- Concisely explains complex formulas and equations and makes the math easy
- Teaches even the information security novice critical encryption skills
- Written by a globally-recognized security expert who has taught cryptography to various government and civilian groups and organizations around the world
Expert preparation covering 100% of Security+ exam SY0-501 objectives
CompTIA Security+ Study Guide, Seventh Edition offers invaluable preparation for Exam SY0-501. Written by an expert author team, this book covers 100% of the exam objectives with clear, concise explanation. You'll learn how to handle threats, attacks, and vulnerabilities using industry-standard tools and technologies, while understanding the role of architecture and design. From everyday tasks like identity and access management to complex topics like risk management and cryptography, this study guide helps you consolidate your knowledge base in preparation for the Security+ exam. Practical examples illustrate how these processes play out in real-world scenarios, allowing you to immediately translate essential concepts to on-the-job application. You also gain access to the Sybex online learning environment, which features a robust toolkit for more thorough prep: flashcards, glossary of key terms, practice questions, and a pre-assessment exam equip you with everything you need to enter the exam confident in your skill set.
This study guide is approved and endorsed by CompTIA, and has been fully updated to align with the latest version of the exam.
- Master essential security technologies, tools, and tasks
- Understand how Security+ concepts are applied in the real world
- Study on the go with electronic flashcards and more
- Test your knowledge along the way with hundreds of practice questions
To an employer, the CompTIA Security+ certification proves that you have the knowledge base and skill set to secure applications, devices, and networks; analyze and respond to threats; participate in risk mitigation, and so much more. As data threats loom larger every day, the demand for qualified security professionals will only continue to grow. If you're ready to take the first step toward a rewarding career, CompTIA Security+ Study Guide, Seventh Edition is the ideal companion for thorough exam preparation.
Mobile devices are ubiquitous; therefore, mobile device forensics is absolutely critical. Whether for civil or criminal investigations, being able to extract evidence from a mobile device is essential. This book covers the technical details of mobile devices and transmissions, as well as forensic methods for extracting evidence. There are books on specific issues like Android forensics or iOS forensics, but there is not currently a book that covers all the topics covered in this book. Furthermore, it is such a critical skill that mobile device forensics is the most common topic the Author is asked to teach to law enforcement. This is a niche that is not being adequately filled with current titles.
An In-Depth Guide to Mobile Device Forensics is aimed towards undergraduates and graduate students studying cybersecurity or digital forensics. It covers both technical and legal issues, and includes exercises, tests/quizzes, case studies, and slides to aid comprehension.
- Clearly explains core concepts, terminology, and techniques
- Covers the foundational physics, math, and information theory you need
- Provides hands-on practice with quantum programming
- The perfect beginner’s guide for anyone interested in a quantum computing career
Dr. Chuck Easttom brings together complete coverage of basic quantum computing concepts, terminology, and issues, along with key skills to get you started.
Drawing on 30+ years as a computer science instructor, consultant, and researcher, Easttom demystifies the field’s underlying technical concepts and math, shows how quantum computing systems are designed and built, explains their implications for cyber security, and previews advances in quantum-resistant cryptography. Writing clearly and simply, he introduces two of today’s leading quantum programming languages, Microsoft Q# and QASM, and guides you through sample projects. Throughout, tests, projects, and review questions help you deepen and apply your knowledge.
Whether you’re a student, professional, or manager, this guide will prepare you for the quantum computing revolution--and expand your career options, too.
- Master the linear algebra and other mathematical skills you’ll need
- Explore key physics ideas such as quantum states and uncertainty
- Review data structures, algorithms, and computing complexity
- Work with probability and set theory in quantum computing
- Familiarize yourself with basic quantum theory and formulae
- Understand quantum entanglement and quantum key distribution
- Discover how quantum computers are architected and built
- Explore several leading quantum algorithms
- Compare quantum and conventional asymmetric algorithms
- See how quantum computing might break traditional cryptography
- Discover several approaches to quantum-resistant cryptography
- Start coding with Q#, Microsoft’s quantum programming language
- Simulate quantum gates and algorithms with QASM
Security Policies and Implementation Issues, Third Edition offers a comprehensive, end-to-end view of information security policies and frameworks from the raw organizational mechanics of building to the psychology of implementation. Written by industry experts, the new Third Edition presents an effective balance between technical knowledge and soft skills, while introducing many different concepts of information security in clear simple terms such as governance, regulator mandates, business drivers, legal considerations, and much more. With step-by-step examples and real-world exercises, this book is a must-have resource for students, security officers, auditors, and risk leaders looking to fully understand the process of implementing successful sets of security policies and frameworks.
Instructor Materials for Security Policies and Implementation Issues include:
PowerPoint Lecture Slides
Sample Course Syllabus
Quiz & Exam Questions
About the Series
This book is part of the Information Systems Security and Assurance Series from Jones and Bartlett Learning. Designed for courses and curriculums in IT Security, Cybersecurity, Information Assurance, and Information Systems Security, this series features a comprehensive, consistent treatment of the most current thinking and trends in this critical subject area. These titles deliver fundamental information-security principles packed with real-world applications and examples. Authored by Certified Information Systems Security Professionals (CISSPs), they deliver comprehensive information on all aspects of information security. Reviewed word for word by leading technical experts in the field, these books are not just current, but forward-thinking—putting you in the position to solve the cybersecurity challenges not just of today, but of tomorrow, as well.
Clearly explains core concepts, terminology, challenges, technologies, and skills
Covers today’s latest attacks and countermeasures
The perfect beginner’s guide for anyone interested in a computer security career
Dr. Chuck Easttom brings together complete coverage of all basic concepts, terminology, and issues, along with all the skills you need to get started.
Drawing on 30 years of experience as a security instructor, consultant, and researcher, Easttom helps you take a proactive, realistic approach to assessing threats and implementing countermeasures. Writing clearly and simply, he addresses crucial issues that many introductory security books ignore, while addressing the realities of a world where billions of new devices are Internet-connected.
This guide covers web attacks, hacking, spyware, network defense, security appliances, VPNs, password use, and much more. Its many tips and examples reflect new industry trends and the state-of-the-art in both attacks and defense. Exercises, projects, and review questions in every chapter help you deepen your understanding and apply all you’ve learned.
Whether you’re a student, a professional, or a manager, this guide will help you protect your assets—and expand your career options.
LEARN HOW TO
- Identify and prioritize potential threats to your network
- Use basic networking knowledge to improve security
- Get inside the minds of hackers, so you can deter their attacks
- Implement a proven layered approach to network security
- Resist modern social engineering attacks
- Defend against today’s most common Denial of Service (DoS) attacks
- Halt viruses, spyware, worms, Trojans, and other malware
- Prevent problems arising from malfeasance or ignorance
- Choose the best encryption methods for your organization
- Compare security technologies, including the latest security appliances
- Implement security policies that will work in your environment
- Scan your network for vulnerabilities
- Evaluate potential security consultants
- Master basic computer forensics and know what to do if you’re attacked
- Learn how cyberterrorism and information warfare are evolving
1,000 Challenging practice questions for Exam SY0-501
CompTIA Security+ Practice Tests provides invaluable practice for candidates preparing for Exam SY0-501. Covering 100% of exam objectives, this book provides 1,000 practice questions to help you test your knowledge and maximize your performance well in advance of exam day. Whether used alone or as a companion to the CompTIA Security+ Study Guide, these questions help reinforce what you know while revealing weak areas while there’s still time to review. Six unique practice tests plus one bonus practice exam cover threats, attacks, and vulnerabilities; technologies and tools; architecture and design; identity and access management; risk management; and cryptography and PKI to give you a comprehensive preparation resource. Receive one year of FREE access to the Sybex online interactive learning environment, to help you prepare with superior study tools that allow you to gauge your readiness and avoid surprises on exam day.
The CompTIA Security+ certification is internationally-recognized as validation of security knowledge and skills. The exam tests your ability to install and configure secure applications, networks, and devices; analyze, respond to, and mitigate threats; and operate within applicable policies, laws, and regulations. This book provides the practice you need to pass with flying colors.
- Master all six CompTIA Security+ objective domains
- Test your knowledge with 1,000 challenging practice questions
- Identify areas in need of further review
- Practice test-taking strategies to go into the exam with confidence
The perfect introduction to pen testing for all IT professionals and students
· Clearly explains key concepts, terminology, challenges, tools, and skills
· Covers the latest penetration testing standards from NSA, PCI, and NIST
Welcome to today’s most useful and practical introduction to penetration testing. Chuck Easttom brings together up-to-the-minute coverage of all the concepts, terminology, challenges, and skills you’ll need to be effective.
Drawing on decades of experience in cybersecurity and related IT fields, Easttom integrates theory and practice, covering the entire penetration testing life cycle from planning to reporting.
You’ll gain practical experience through a start-to-finish sample project relying on free open source tools. Throughout, quizzes, projects, and review sections deepen your understanding and help you apply what you’ve learned.
Including essential pen testing standards from NSA, PCI, and NIST, Penetration Testing Fundamentals will help you protect your assets–and expand your career options.
LEARN HOW TO
· Understand what pen testing is and how it’s used
· Meet modern standards for comprehensive and effective testing
· Review cryptography essentials every pen tester must know
· Perform reconnaissance with Nmap, Google searches, and ShodanHq
· Use malware as part of your pen testing toolkit
· Test for vulnerabilities in Windows shares, scripts, WMI, and the Registry
· Pen test websites and web communication
· Recognize SQL injection and cross-site scripting attacks
· Scan for vulnerabilities with OWASP ZAP, Vega, Nessus, and MBSA
· Identify Linux vulnerabilities and password cracks
· Use Kali Linux for advanced pen testing
· Apply general hacking technique ssuch as fake Wi-Fi hotspots and social engineering
· Systematically test your environment with Metasploit
· Write or customize sophisticated Metasploit exploits
Get complete coverage of all six CCFP exam domains developed by the International Information Systems Security Certification Consortium (ISC)2. Written by a leading computer security expert, this authoritative guide fully addresses cyber forensics techniques, standards, technologies, and legal and ethical principles. You'll find learning objectives at the beginning of each chapter, exam tips, practice exam questions, and in-depth explanations. Designed to help you pass the exam with ease, this definitive volume also serves as an essential on-the-job reference.
COVERS ALL SIX EXAM DOMAINS:
Legal and ethical principles
Hybrid and emerging technologies
ELECTRONIC CONTENT INCLUDES:
- 250 practice exam questions
- Test engine that provides full-length practice exams and customized quizzes by chapter or by exam domain