Similar authors to follow
See more recommendations
Customers Also Bought Items By
When it comes to defining what we know as all-American baking, everything from Bundt cakes to brownies have roots that can be traced to the great Midwest. German, Scandinavian, Polish, French, and Italian immigrant families baked their way to the American Midwest, instilling in it pies, breads, cookies, and pastries that manage to feel distinctly home-grown.
After more than a decade of living in California, author Shauna Sever rediscovered the storied, simple pleasures of home baking in her Midwestern kitchen. This unique collection of more than 125 recipes includes refreshed favorites and new treats:
- Rhubarb and Raspberry Swedish Flop
- Danish Kringle
- Secret-Ingredient Cherry Slab Pie
- German Lebkuchen
- Smoky Cheddar-Crusted Cornish Pasties
. . . and more, which will make any kitchen feel like a Midwestern home.
At last—a modern baking book packed with dozens of recipes for delectable treats using only natural, unrefined, readily available alternative sweeteners.
Real Sweet offers every dessert lover the delicious sweetness they crave in simple and delicious recipes using natural sugars that pack in subtly amazing flavors that elevate treats of every kind (and help us avoid overprocessed, one-dimensional white sugar).
Here are simple lunchbox treats suitable for all ages; whimsical candies and confections created on the stovetop; bake sale classics like cookies and cakes; and fragrant, exotic spoonable puddings and flans. Cookbook author and blogger Shauna Sever helps you introduce healthy touches into treats using natural, unrefined, readily available alternative sweeteners—from coconut sugar, agave nectar, orange blossom honey, and pure maple syrup to smoky turbinado, brown-buttery panela, and jaggery.
Written in Shauna’s fresh, modern, and charmingly funny style, Real Sweet lets every sweet tooth indulge without the guilt. Here are more than eighty sure-to-be-favorite recipes, including:
- All-Day Snacks and Lunchbox Treats: Baked Apple Cinnamon Doughnuts, Cracklin’ Maple Popcorn, Fake-Out Caramel Dip
- Bake Sales and Edible Gifts: Dark, Fudgy Muscovado Brownies and Maple Sugar Butter Cookies
- Picnics and Potlucks: Maple Chocolate Cake, Oregon Berry Cream Crumble, Spiced, Bruleed Maple Pumpkin Pie
- Candies and Confections: Bonfire Toffee Pops and Sea Salt Caramels in the Raw
- Dinner Party Fancies: Honeyed Yogurt Cheesecake and Pistachio Sponge Cake with Honey and Citrus
- Scoops and Spoonables: Butterscotch Pots de Crème and Vegan Toasted Coconut Chip Ice Cream
Whether you’re entertaining, sharing a good meal with friends, contributing to the PTA, or looking for homemade holiday gifts, Real Sweet has the perfect treat for everyday and every occasion.
With a complete history of vanilla from orchid to extract, Pure Vanilla provides the origins and tasting notes for all of today’s varieties—plus 80 recipes and dozens of photographs. Also included are recipes for Homemade Vanilla Extract, Vanilla Sugar, and Vanilla-Infused Liquors. So step aside, chocolate! It’s time for Pure Vanilla.