Similar authors to follow
Manage your follows
About Zachary Petit
Zachary Petit is the editor of the National Magazine Award–winning publication PRINT, the content director of HOW and PRINT, a freelance journalist and a lifelong literary and design nerd. Formerly, he was the longtime managing editor of Writer’s Digest magazine, and executive editor of several related newsstand titles. Alongside the thousands of articles he has penned as a staff writer and editor, covering everything from the secret lives of mall Santas to literary legends, his words regularly appear in National Geographic Kids, and have also popped up in the pages of National Geographic, Melissa Rossi’s What Every American Should Know book series, McSweeney’s Internet Tendency and many other outlets. He has never eaten an olive, and is forever slightly uncomfortable writing about himself in third person.
Customers Also Bought Items By
So you want to be a freelance writer. Great! But now you're faced with a laundry list of questions: Should I freelance full time or part time? Should I write for magazines, newspapers, or online markets? How do I dream up the perfect article idea, and how do I pitch it successfully? How do I negotiate contracts, foster relationships with editors, and start getting steady work while avoiding financial panic attacks and unpleasant ulcers?
The Essential Guide to Freelance Writing answers all of these questions--and much more. From breaking in to navigating the basics of the business, this book is your road map to a fruitful and rewarding freelance life. You'll learn how to:
• Dig into various markets, including consumer magazines, trade journals, newspapers, and online venues.
• Make your digital mark and build your writing platform.
• Pitch like a pro and craft solid query letters that get responses.
• Conduct professional interviews in person, by phone, or by e-mail.
• Write and structure various types of articles, from front-of-the-book pieces to profiles and features.
• Quit your lackluster day job, and live the life you've always wanted.
Filled with insider secrets, candid advice, and Zachary Petit's trademark humor and blunt honesty, The Essential Guide to Freelance Writing won't just show you how to survive your freelancing writing career--it will teach you how to truly thrive.