Similar authors to follow
See more recommendations
Customers Also Bought Items By
Goddesses — Mythology — Inspiration
Readers who have enjoyed Warrior Goddess Training or Women Who Run with the Wolves will love Ann Shen’s Legendary Ladies
Goddesses from mythology: Goddesses from our past are celebrated in this lushly illustrated book by Ann Shen, the author and artist who created Bad Girls Throughout History. Ann is an illustrator, letterer, and author based in Los Angeles who has created artwork for a number of publications, campaigns, products, and galleries.
Explore the feminine divine and feel empowered: Legendary goddesses and powerful deities are celebrated in gorgeous artwork and enlightening essays. Lushly illustrated goddesses that you will love include:
- Aphrodite, the Greek goddess whose love overcame mortality
- Mazu, the Chinese deity who safely guides travelers home
- Lakshmi, the Hindu provider of fortune and prosperity
Unique alternative to Goddess cards or other gift items: Ann Shen's signature watercolors make Legendary Ladies a unique, gift-worthy homage to the mighty women within.
Celebrated illustrator and author Ann Shen shares her striking study of history's most iconic styles, and the women who changed the world while wearing them.
From the revolutionary bikini to the presidential pantsuit, this book explores 50 fashions through bold paintings and insightful anecdotes that empower readers to make their own fashion statements.
• Demonstrates the power of fashion as a political and cultural tool for making change
• Brilliantly illustrated with Ann's signature art style
• Filled with radical clothing choices that defined their time
Looks include the Flapper Dress, the unofficial outfit of women's independence in the 1920s; the Afro, worn as a symbol of black beauty, power, and pride; the Cone Bra, donned by Madonna in her 1989 power anthem "Express Yourself"; and the Dissent Collar, Ruth Bader Ginsburg's famous signifier for when she disagrees with the majority.
With stunning and vibrant illustrations, this is a treasure for anyone who wants to defy style norms and rewrite the rules.
• An insightful look at the intersection of fashion statements and historical female power
• Perfect for fans of Ann Shen, as well as anyone who loves fashion, feminism, and political consciousness
• You'll love this book if you love books like Women In Science: 50 Fearless Pioneers Who Changed The World by Rachel Ignotofsky; Strong Is the New Pretty: A Celebration Of Girls Being Themselves by Kate T. Parker; and Women Who Dared: 52 Stories Of Fearless Daredevils, Adventurers, And Rebels by Linda Skeers.