Similar authors to follow
Manage your follows
About Camille Fournier
Camille Fournier is the former CTO of Rent the Runway, where she managed to somehow earn herself the nickname "The Hammer." She is the author of the blog Elided Branches, which covers many topics relevant to software engineers including distributed systems and engineering leadership, and a frequent conference speaker on these topics.
Customers Also Bought Items By
Managing people is difficult wherever you work. But in the tech industry, where management is also a technical discipline, the learning curve can be brutal—especially when there are few tools, texts, and frameworks to help you. In this practical guide, author Camille Fournier (tech lead turned CTO) takes you through each stage in the journey from engineer to technical manager.
From mentoring interns to working with senior staff, you’ll get actionable advice for approaching various obstacles in your path. This book is ideal whether you’re a new manager, a mentor, or a more experienced leader looking for fresh advice. Pick up this book and learn how to become a better manager and leader in your organization.
- Begin by exploring what you expect from a manager
- Understand what it takes to be a good mentor, and a good tech lead
- Learn how to manage individual members while remaining focused on the entire team
- Understand how to manage yourself and avoid common pitfalls that challenge many leaders
- Manage multiple teams and learn how to manage managers
- Learn how to build and bootstrap a unifying culture in teams
Tap into the wisdom of experts to learn what every engineering manager should know. With 97 short and extremely useful tips for engineering managers, you'll discover new approaches to old problems, pick up road-tested best practices, and hone your management skills through sound advice.
Managing people is hard, and the industry as a whole is bad at it. Many managers lack the experience, training, tools, texts, and frameworks to do it well. From mentoring interns to working in senior management, this book will take you through the stages of management and provide actionable advice on how to approach the obstacles you’ll encounter as a technical manager.
A few of the 97 things you should know:
- "Three Ways to Be the Manager Your Report Needs" by Duretti Hirpa
- "The First Two Questions to Ask When Your Team Is Struggling" by Cate Huston
- "Fire Them!" by Mike Fisher
- "The 5 Whys of Organizational Design" by Kellan Elliott-McCrea
- "Career Conversations" by Raquel Vélez
- "Using 6-Page Documents to Close Decisions" by Ian Nowland
- "Ground Rules in Meetings" by Lara Hogan