Similar authors to follow
Manage your follows
About Cara Harbstreet MS RD LD
Cara Harbstreet, MS RD LD is an Intuitive Eating Registered Dietitian and nationally-recognized food and nutrition expert. She obtained a Bachelors of Science in Dietetics and Nutrition from Southeast Missouri State University. She went on to complete her Dietetic Internship and Masters of Science in Dietetics and Nutrition at The University of Kansas Medical Center. Upon completion, Cara worked in community nutrition, corporate wellness, retail settings. She later worked with the Endocrinology Department of a regional pediatric medical center and provided inpatient and outpatient support to children and families in the largest non-surgical specialty department. Her experience working with a wide range of health conditions and patients helped her gain an understanding of the challenges families face when it comes to nutrition and cooking. Many of them had the same questions and concerns about food and wanted to learn more about how to make empowered and informed choices about eating.
In 2016, Cara founded her private practice and began focusing on sports nutrition, intuitive eating, and applying the Health At Every Size model for clients in the Kansas City area. Since then, she has expanded into virtual and telehealth services and serves as a consultant and nutrition communications expert. Cara is also an active volunteer in the dietetics field, serving as a multi-year Board Member for the Kansas Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. She is also the current Communications Director for the Sports, Cardiovascular, and Wellness Nutrition (SCAN) Dietetic Practice Group.
She is based in the Kansas City area and enjoys exploring the local food scene and running trails. In her spare time you can find her experimenting in the kitchen, spending time with family, and maintaining the Street Smart Nutrition blog, where you can find more recipes and resources for creating fearlessly nourishing meals.
Customers Also Bought Items By
Warm your heart, nourish your body—the healing power of soup.
Move over apples—it’s a bowl of soup a day that can really keep the doctor away. The Healing Soup Cookbook is your complete guide to discovering the health (and flavor) benefits that a bowl of hearty, nourishing soup can bring to your life.
Don’t wait until you’ve got a cold to stir up some delicious chicken noodle soup. The more than 90 recipes in this soup cookbook run the gamut from traditional classics to more exotic fare. Not only do these soups make perfect meals all on their own, they are also packed with healthy ingredients that combat inflammation, boost your immune system, warm you up, and help keep away colds.
The Healing Soup Cookbook includes:
- 90+ soup recipes—From tomato soup to chili and Asian noodle bowls, the tasty one-pot dishes in this soup cookbook are sure to satisfy your cravings—as well as help you heal with anti-inflammatory ingredients.
- Broth and beyond—Whether you want to make your own or just pick some up at the grocery store, this soup cookbook has all the information you need to make sure you’re using the right broth.
- Info at a glance—Pick the perfect soup for you with complete nutrition information and helpful labels that tell you whether a soup is vegetarian, gluten-free, freezer-friendly, and more.
Serve up spoonfuls of better health—The Healing Soup Cookbook will show you how.
Practical strategies for healthy eating habits and joyful wellbeing.
Good health is about finding what works for you—rather than forcing yourself to follow the latest fad diet. The Healthy Eating for Life intuitive eating workbook shows how to improve your relationship with food by listening to your body’s cues instead of stressing over calorie counting and meal plans.
You’ll enjoy mealtime again with the help of written exercises that offer a thoughtful and compassionate approach to forming healthy habits for life. So stop worrying about rules and restrictions, and start discovering the joy and ease of intuitive eating.
This intuitive eating workbook includes:
- Say no to diet culture—Explore how restrictive diets can negatively impact your life, and why intuitive eating is a better option for your health and mental well-being.
- Reflect and tune in—Simple and repeatable intuitive eating exercises teach positive habits—like listening to your body, getting comfortable with your feelings, and more.
- Master intuitive eating—Discover a natural approach to healthy eating that focuses on food as self-care—then find ways to reintroduce nutritional considerations without falling into diet traps.
Change the way you think about food and embrace the benefits of intuitive eating with Healthy Eating for Life.
The Pescatarian Cookbook is the definitive kitchen companion to the pescatarian diet with fundamental information, recipes, and healthy meal plans.
Rich in fish and seafood, hearty vegetables, and wholesome grains—pescatarianism is a varied and balanced diet. The Pescatarian Cookbook is a complete reference to reap all benefits of this naturally nutritious diet with essential information, recipes, and healthy meal plans.
From Zucchini Pancakes with Smoked Salmon for breakfast to Grilled Swordfish with Chimichurri and Roasted Vegetables for dinner, this pescatarian cookbook offers perfectly portioned pescatarian plates for every meal. Complete with 3 weeks’ worth of meal plans—that include shopping lists and tips for meal prep—The Pescatarian Cookbook is your go-to reference to make the pescatarian diet a sustainable and satisfying lifestyle.
The Pescatarian Cookbook is a recipe for good health and great taste with:
- An essential introduction that explains everything you need to know to follow the pescatarian diet, including the health benefits, pantry staples and cooking equipment, plus shopping and storage tips.
- 75 recipes for breakfasts, soups and salads, vegetable mains, seafood mains, sides and snacks, and dessert!
- 3 one-week meal plans that take the guesswork out of what you should eat and when, and provides shopping lists to do the rest of the heavy lifting.
There’s more to the pescatarian diet than eating seafood. Get a healthy dose of vitamins and minerals from both the land and sea with the recipes and meal plan from The Pescatarian Cookbook.