Similar authors to follow
Manage your follows
About Sean McManus
Sean McManus was born and raised in western Washington State (having various different hardiness zones and growing conditions) where at the early age of 5 years old, he began helping and learning how to propagate and grow at his parents Rhododendron Farm in Olympia, WA. Gardening also became part of Sean's interests at home helping care for different plants, which led him to have a lawn-cutting "business" at age 11. Up until graduating high school, Sean had various landscape and garden care jobs around the city for pruning, mulching, watering/irrigation, renovation, and installations. Sean eventually started studying environmental horticulture at Washington State University where he earned both a Bachelor's ('00) and Master's ('04) in Environmental Horticulture. The plan was for Sean and his twin to take over the family Rhododendron farm, but the business had to be closed before he graduated, so he made other plans. From that point until now, Sean was an assistant greenhouse grower, teach and research assistant, research associate, gardener/landscaper, project coordinator, and garden care podcaster/blogger/videographer. Sean and his wife Allison want to help you become better gardeners through their books, podcasts, blog, videos, and online courses. You can find out more about Sean, and Allison, at spokengarden.com .
Customers Also Bought Items By
Caring for outdoor plantings can be intimidating, especially if the process is completely new to you. Before running to the hardware store to stock up on plastic bags of mulch and tools you don’t really need, arm yourself with the know-how to plant and tend outdoor areas correctly and safely. Doing so saves you time, money, and energy—and helps make the process a whole lot more fun!
With help from this easy-to-follow beginner gardening guide, you’ll learn:
- Tips for selecting the best plants and flowers for your growing conditions
- The best planting techniques for different types of plants
- How to mulch trees, shrubs, and garden beds correctly
- Pruning dos and don’ts for common garden plants
- Ways to keep weeds out of outdoor areas—without using synthetic herbicides
- How to recognize and manage different pests and diseases naturally
- Insider tips on everything from the difference between annuals and perennials to choosing the best organic fertilizer
- Plus, you’ll find time-management advice and tips for effective, resource-conscious gardening
This book is part of The First-Time Gardener Guide series from Cool Springs Press, which also includes The First-Time Gardener: Growing Vegetables. Each book in The First-Time Gardener Guide series is aimed at beginner gardeners and offers clear, fact-based information that's presented in a friendly and accessible way, including step-by-step instructions and full-color illustrations throughout.