Lots of good info, but way too many mistakes, plus faulty grading!
Reviewed in the United States on 27 January 2019
* * * REVIEW BASED ON READING ENTIRE BOOK AND WORKING THROUGH ALL 37 ONLINE EXERCISES * * *
There is some very worthwhile material in this book. Here are five things I especially appreciated:
Getting through this material is far more difficult than it ought to be because of three things:
3. The website marks many correct answers as incorrect. For example, if the website's answer has unnecessary extra spaces and your correct answer doesn't have them, it will mark your answer wrong! The website doesn't grade intelligently, so you have to grade your own answer by comparing it to the solution provided.
The book covers all the essential topics for an introduction to programming, but some parts are aimed at beginners while other parts require prior programming experience to fully understand. Some material is redundant (very similar or repeated verbatim), and the information is sometimes presented out of order.
WHO WILL BENEFIT
1. The Grasshopper mobile app is aimed at complete beginners.
2. The SoloLearn website and mobile app cover multiple programming languages.
5. This 400 page Kindle book by blogger Kirupa Chinnathambi covers a lot and explains things in detail:
92 people found this helpful