Top positive review
Solid device, but has a few quirks
Reviewed in Australia on 7 April 2020
I recently built a PC from spare parts at home when my main desktop finally died. (The things we do in the days of a global pandemic.) This was a cheap solution for bluetooth. I plugged it in, inserted the CD that came with it, and installed the software. Following the directions that are included on the disk makes you question your own sanity, but nonetheless, it sort of worked. But I had to use its software to turn the bluetooth function on and off and connect devices (as opposed to using system settings to access the same processes). But then it stopped working and I couldn't figure out why. I uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers, the software, etc. Nothing worked the way it said it would. And my Bose headphones would only connect via handsfree mode, not stereo.
After a bit of forum diving online, I figured out how to make the dang thing work relatively seamlessly. "Relatively" because I've not had it for even a week yet, so who knows if other issues will crop up?
Solution (on a Windows 10, v1909) :
1. Remove the drivers and software. Uninstall the dongle in the Device Manager. Unplug the dongle.
2. Restart computer. Once you've reached your desktop, plug the dongle into a 2.0 USB port (3.0 ports have a blue tongue on the inside; 2.0 are usually black; 1.0 are usually white). Once Windows 10 installed the drivers (the dongle should show up in the device manager), RESTART THE COMPUTER
3. Once your system restarts, it should recognize the dongle as its own bluetooth device, and you'll access system settings to turn it on and off and sync new devices.
4. Use included software and driver CD as a drink coaster. (DON'T EVER USE IT AGAIN.)
Bose headphones connect with stereo and hands free functions available. Sound is consistent without skips.
Other things to note: must be plugged into USB 2.0 (or possibly 1.0--not sure as I don't have one on my desktop), not a 3.0 port. Ideally, keep it away from other 3.0 ports and wifi devices--apparently, 3.0 USB ports introduced some sort of interference on the 2.4Ghz range. What I've found works best is to use a USB extension (often come in the box with gaming mouses)--they run about 6 or 7 bucks, so this is still a super cheap solution. But YMMV.
If I run into any other issues, I'll update this post.