To calculate the overall star rating and percentage breakdown by star, we don’t use a simple average. Instead, our system considers things like how recent a review is and if the reviewer bought the item on Amazon. It also analyses reviews to verify trustworthiness.
The good: Inexpensive, decent reception on both AM and FM considering its size, battery life better than expected for a 500 mah internal rechargeable battery.
(1) I would have loved a deep bass boost function, but even without it, sound quality is acceptable, especially using higher quality earphones or earbuds
(2) Setting and deleting memories is fussy, and the English-challenged instruction sheet is really no help. Thankfully, since I'm only using this for two stations, it's no big deal for me
(3) Ergonomically, the volume buttons and tuning buttons should be switched. The vertical top-bottom button should be tuning, while the dual up-down buttons should be volume. But, I suppose I'll get used to it.
(4) It remembers your previously tuned AM frequency when you switch bands and go back to AM, but it does not do this for FM. For instance, if you last listened to 1490 AM, 92.5 FM on the first FM band, and 104.9 FM on the second FM band, when you leave AM and then come back, it'll go back to an AM band tuned to 1490. But, with the two FM bands, when you leave them, you won't come back to 92.5 FM or 104.9 FM, but the beginning of the bands, 64.0 MHz and 87.0 MHz on FM1 and FM2, respectively.
(5) If you're listening to a station, if you start tuning up or down one step at a time, and do it pretty quickly, it will seem to stay on the station you were listening to until you arrive at a new frequency, and then "re-tune" it. For instance, you could be listening to 106.1 FM playing Aerosmith, and then want to step up to 107.5 FM playing Beyonce. You'll start with the up button one at a time to 106.2, 106.3...so on, until you get to 107.5. But while you're doing that, you'll still be hearing the Aerosmith song as if you're actually still locked on the 106.1 station, until you stop at whatever frequency. In my hypothetical case, you get to the 107.5 station, at which point it will retune and then start in on the station playing the Beyonce song at that moment. I suppose this is a DSP quirkk.
(6) No signal strength meter or RDS, but I wasn't expecting for the price point.
(7) Seek-scan functionality is rather useless, stops on too many spurious noise and non-stations.
I am a senior citizen and have used various Walkman radios for decades on my daily walks. My favorite Sony Walkman has been discontinued, and I decided to try this radio. I was really surprised at the performance of this radio. It is about the same height of a credit card and around ½ inch wide. It fits easily into a t-shirt pocket. The sound is excellent. I have not used the earbuds that came with the radio. Instead, I used my inexpensive on-ear lightweight Panasonic headphones (RP-HT21). So I am not rating the earbuds. I live in a metro area, but one of my presets is an NPR station 30 miles away in another state. The reception for all my pre-set stations is great. Not sure about reception in a rural or remote area. The radio looks expensive and is well made and professional. The instructions are complete but are not well written in English. However, the instructions are OK with a little perseverance. This radio appears to be a bargain for the price. I have had my radio for only two weeks, and I am hoping that it will prove durable in spite of the price.
Added nine months later: I have two of these radios & both are durable with no problems or issues.
I realize I am probably an unusual consumer for this product as I primarily selected it based on the fact that it has an AM tuner. (Very few compact radios and MP3 players offer AM tuners) Overall, it's a very nice radio - Good quality, nice features, and simple design. But the AM tuner works in such a way that one can not manually tune in a station in the proper increments to receive the desired station. (It steps in increments that pass up my local stations and it can not be specifically tuned). That being said, it was impossible to tune in any local AM stations - the main reason I purchased it. Still a nice unit and great value, I opted not to return it but gave it to a relative. If you are purchasing to listen to FM this is a great radio for you. But if you are looking for AM, I would advise you to try something else.
The small CC size radio is great for the price and purpose to use while walking. Leaving over 50 miles from the antennas is just a little problematic. Have to hold the radio in a certain way to get clear reception. I'm sure close in town would work better. I use it to listen to AM dial, tuning via scan is good, however the digital readout does not match up to the station Hz, as an example 850 reads at 846 or 853. Only at the 630 reading does it match up. Makes it a little difficult to make sure you have the right station tuned in when two stations are close together. Took a little bit to understand the memory function, but once you get the station saved, it's easy to move between your favorites. Headphones are adequate, but you may want to use one of your older better fitting ones.
This is my 'Go To' when I can't sleep or otherwise just want personalized listening of either talk show or stereo radio broadcasts that is very compact, fitting in a pocket. This is the 2nd of this type that I've owned, and does a great job w/station memories & USB recharging for roughly 8-10 hrs of use.. Over time, I've paired w/a stronger earpiece & cord for longer durability. Display is not lighted, but who can argue with the price!
This baby lasts me about 8-10 hours on a full charge. It comes with USB for easy charging. My co-worker helped me to save my favorite stations. All you gotta do is press the memo butt in twice and wahhhlaa you've got your favorite stations programmed. I have 9 stations pre set already, not sure how many it holds. Goes pretty loud. Fantastic radio!
As other reviiewers noted, if you want to listen to AM you won't be able to pick up any stations. Should not even be marketed as am/fm. However, if you only listen to FM the reception is very good. I use primarily for long walks and the compact size and light weight is super. I couldn't get the earbuds comfortable and changed them out for a better quality pair that work for me. The directions for memory storage and other features are HORRIBLE. The Chinese translator apparently not good at converting to English. I eventually figured it out by trial and error. All that being said, I do like this radio for performance (other than VERY POOR /lack of AM reception). It suits my needs and great FM reception. Holds battery charge well. Overall, I like the product for my use and needs and would purchase again.
I've been taking daily walks for over twenty years. I appreciate a small battery powered radio to add a bit of spice to a sometimes dreary routine. My rural lifestyle and poor reception presented a challenge. It was tedious to have to hold the radio and constantly shift it's direction in search of noise. This radio is small, light weight and simple to use. Its reception, while not great nor static free, is better than previous radios. I still need to search for reception while walking, but its a real improvement. A major negative is very poor battery life. Rechargeable battery sounded good, but after fully charging it ,it lasted less than 2 1/2 hrs before it was dead as a rock. Big battery negative aside, I'd buy it again because of its reception.
Maravilloso tamaño para escuchar las estaciones de radio. Alcanza buena señal. A veces puede irse la señal pero regresa enseguida eso es normal depende donde uno esté. Me fascina ml pequeño radio. Le dura más 8 horas la batería. Recomiendo lo compren. Los audífonos no son de gran calidad pero usted puedo comprar unos mejores audífonos a su gusto. Pero en general estoy enamorado de mi pequeño radio. Se puede llevar paga hacer ejercicios caminar por el parque y hasta el trabajo escuchar música el día entero.
It's really good to get back to the basics. I really like technology but sometimes it just doesn't work correctly when trying to stream from my phone, but this gem works every time all the time without interruption and that makes it perfect for what I use it for in my daily life. Another plus is it's very lightweight and reliable with a fair battery charge. You can pre set stations and lock all buttons to prevent mistakingly changing stations. It's not wireless but that's ok I enjoyed wire air buds long before wireless came along. Most of all the sound is good quality too.