This is a fantastic product
Reviewed in the United Kingdom on 6 April 2020
I absolutely loved it,... bought a WD NAS few days ago, returned as it broke, decided to try this Synology one,...
Really great product, mainly because it does what I tell to do... simple as that.
1) Disable Cloud, I don't like it: Yes, sure, here you go.
2) Create only the shares that I ask you to do, i.e. don't create a "Public" share and force me to use it: Sure, done.
3) Create user-permissions on both Share level and also below directory access level: LOVED IT!...
4) Create Volume-1: 12TB hard disk stand alone: Yes, done.
5) Create Volume-2: 3 x 4TB hard disks in Raid-5: Yes done.
6) Move some of my shares between Volume-1 and Volume-2: Done, not only it would re-mount, but would also move the data for you,... saves so much time and effort.
7) The web interface to explore files is a breeze, very nicely done, and also saves so much time, you don't need to pull your files into your machines and then back onto another share, it would do that all locally to save your network and time,... Brilliant.
8) APPs can be installed and removed when you ask it to.
9) APPs can also be configured which Volume to use for their data....
10) APPs there (although I'm trying not to use, as this is a storage only), but hey, they are great, saves so much time, and comes fully supported, ready to use, I installed some apps whilst the drive was doing an intensive copying.
11) The interface is so detailed with tons of items to configure makes it the best to work with.
12) All the help you need is well made available for you online.
13) Time Machine setup: Yes, done, easy.
14) Most importantly; Power on, only allow data to be accessed through my Cisco VPN (and not naked online): Of course,.. done...
Now, why I gave 4 out of 5 stars (minor issues that could improve it):
1) It costs almost £300 from amazon (diskless),... common,... I know you can do better Synology.
2) The photo/video app isn't that easy to use, I mean, I wanted to have a share whereas all my family can access their photos under one repository, something I can then back up later,... I know it can be done, but it's not as easy as I thought it was,... just need to read the manuals myself....
3) Memory is not expandable, I wish it was,... but don't know if I do need that yet,... however, noticed usage is going high at some point especially when the drive was doing indexing.
4) At one time, the CPU was high, ... when I looked on the top right corner it says "Indexing"... there was a button to view... clicked it, don't know what exactly being indexed, ... I tried looking around, still not sure what was being indexed, would appreciate if this could be more visible to know which folders/files/items being worked on and ability to have my saying on which items I will be needing most to index,... i.e. if I have over a million files for a backed up email server then I certainly don't like these to be included in the process... don't know how yet... probably need to read the manual...
5) Speed advertised as 115MBps however, using my Cisco switch C3750-48 with my Cisco ASA5520, all on Gigabit networks, could not get more than 40MBps tops, ... it is possible that my source system (windows) might be the cause,... I honestly couldn't tell.
Overall, I would certainly say: Go for it... it's a great investment.
33 people found this helpful